These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate GLAAD Left Biased based on editorial positions that align with the progressive left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to full transparency, proper sourcing, and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1985, in response to “New York Post’s grossly defamatory and sensationalized HIV and AIDS coverage,” GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) is a media advocacy and LGBTQ organization. They state their mission is to “amplify the voice of the LGBTQ community by empowering real people to share their stories, holding the media accountable for the words and images they present, and helping grassroots organizations communicate effectively.” GLAAD is based in New York, and Sarah Kate Ellis is the President and CEO.
Funded by / Ownership
GLAAD is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. GLAAD Inc. is rated 4 out of 4 stars by Charity Navigator. They received a 91.90 out of 100 on their Charity Navigator rating. For details on their financials, please see the rating report by Charity Navigator. They are also transparent and disclose financial reports on the website. Donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, GLAAD focuses on improving media coverage of LGBTQ people. They promote global LGBTQ rights through projects such as the Commentator Accountability Project. Through the project, they document pundits who regularly express anti-LGBT bias. Here is an example of Tucker Carlson and Former President Trump’s profiles.
The National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association and LGBT activists criticized GLAAD for a close relationship with corporations. In 2011, Politico published an article that states, “GLAAD was one of several liberal-leaning groups supporting AT&T’s bid that had received donations from the telecom giant — in GLAAD’s case $50,000.” As a result of pressure from LGBT media, the head of GLAAD resigned.
GLAAD’s reporting often contains loaded emotional wording in headlines such as this: ”Tell Fox News To Stop Perpetuating Myths About Transgender People,” and this “Mike Huckabee uses Fox News platform to push ‘religious liberty’ lies.” This story is properly sourced to the LGBTQ Nation. Story selection always favors the left and often focuses on discrimination against LGBTQ, such as this Message to Trans Youth as the Trans Military Ban Officially Lifts.
Editorially, GLAAD routinely denigrates the right and reports favorably on the left “GLAAD RESPONDS TO PRESIDENT-ELECT JOE BIDEN’S NOMINATION OF PETE BUTTIGIEG TO BE SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION.” In general, information is presented factually and with a strong left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate GLAAD Left Biased based on editorial positions that align with the progressive left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to full transparency, proper sourcing, and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 5/12/2021)
Last Updated on February 16, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am