These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Deep South Voice Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that consistently favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to occasional poor sourcing and a complete lack of transparency.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2011, Deep South Voice is a progressive liberal news and opinion blog focusing on Mississippi and national politics. The website lacks transparency as they do not provide an about page, disclose ownership or provide bios for authors. The primary author found on this website is William Pittman. The official Facebook page states “Deep South Voice is a forward-thinking news journal with a mission to change the South by sharing fresh perspectives and ideas that are too often silenced.”
Read our profile on USA government influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
Deep South Voice does not disclose ownership, however at the bottom of website it is copyrighted to Deep South Media LLC. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Deep South Voice reports a mix of original content and republished stories that primarily focus on Mississippi politics. Story selection always favors the left and often uses moderate loaded emotional language in headlines such as this: While Kids Died at Saugus High, Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith Blocked Background Check Bill. This story’s only source is a tweet. In another story “Republican Who Argued for Tossing Out Black Votes Wins Job Overseeing Mississippi Elections”, there isn’t any sourcing at all. The stories that do offer sourcing often link to credible outlets such as the Jackson Free Press and .gov sites.
Editorially, the Deep South Voice endorses Democratic candidates in Mississippi such as this: Mike Espy Kicks Off 2020 U.S. Senate Campaign Against Hyde-Smith: ‘This Time, We’ll Win’. They also frequently report negatively on conservatives and President Trump such as this: Trump Embraces Pat Buchanan, Who He Once Called “A Hitler Lover”. In general, Deep South Voice reports factual information with a consistent left wing bias in story selection and wording.
A factual search reveals they have never been fact checked by an IFCN fact checker.
Overall, we rate the Deep South Voice Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that consistently favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to occasional poor sourcing and a complete lack of transparency. (D. Van Zandt 11/26/2019)
Last Updated on March 21, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am