These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Free Speech TV (FStv) Left Biased based on story selection that always favors the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of sourcing and hosts who have failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1995, FStv is a left wing American news and opinion network. According to the FStv about page: “Free Speech TV is a national, independent news network committed to advancing progressive social change. Reaching over 40 million US television households, they bring viewers an array of daily news programs, independent documentaries and special events coverage. Daily programs, include Democracy Now!, The Thom Hartmann Program and The Stephanie Miller Show. FStv has the slogan “The alternative to television networks owned by billionaires, governments and corporations.”
Funded by / Ownership
Free Speech TV is owned by Public Communications Inc., which is a non-profit, 501c3 tax-exempt organization. FSTV is supported primarily through philanthropic contributions from thousands of viewers and from foundations dedicated to independent media and social, economic and environmental justice.
Analysis / Bias
In review, all shows on Free Speech TV have a left wing bias and may have guests who are not factual. Their primary news shows are the Thom Hartmann Program, Democracy Now! and France 24. Democracy Now! has a left wing bias in reporting, but is considered factual. France 24 is considered a left-center source by our methodology, but also factual.
Headlines of articles typically contain loaded emotional language such as this: Did Trump’s Lie-Filled Anti-Immigrant Scaremongering Work? and Arizona Activists Face Jail Time for Providing Life-Saving Aid to Migrants Crossing Sonoran Desert. Neither of the two articles above contain sourcing of any kind outside of the video they link to. In fact, most information on this website is not sourced or comes from transcripts or video links from hosts such as Thom Hartmann, who has made false claims in the past. In general, all stories favor the left and denigrate the right. There is also poor use of sourcing as well.
Overall, we rate Free Speech TV (FStv) Left Biased based on story selection that always favors the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of sourcing and hosts who have failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 7/30/2017) Updated (1/23/2019)
Last Updated on April 7, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am