These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate Frontiers a Pro-Science source, however, due to being an open access publishing company, we advise caution as not all information is properly peer-reviewed.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: Switzerland 8/180
Frontiers Media is an academic publisher of peer-reviewed open access scientific journals currently active in science, technology, and medicine. It was founded in 2007 by a group of neuroscientists, including Henry and Kamila Markram, and later expanded to other academic fields. Frontiers is based in Lausanne, Switzerland. They publish 67 journals as of 2019. According to their about page “Frontiers ranks as the 4th most-cited publisher among the 20 largest publishers with an average of 3.65 citations per article.
Funded by / Ownership
Frontiers is a for-profit corporation operated by Holtzbrinck Publishing Group. Funding comes from digital sales of content and author fees for publication.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Frontiers publishes scientific research studies in a wide range of journals. For the most part, all of these are sound science with legitimate peer review. However, in 2015 Frontiers Media was added to Beall’s list of Predatory Open Access Journals. In short, Predatory Open Access publishing is an exploitative open-access publishing business model that involves charging publication fees to authors without providing the editorial and publishing services associated with legitimate journals (open access or not). Frontiers have also retracted some studies that were found to be of poor methodology and not thoroughly peer-reviewed. Overall, we still rate Frontiers pro-science, but barely. Of the thousands of journal articles, they have published only a select few were retracted and the act of retraction shows diligence toward credible science.
Overall, we rate Frontiers a Pro-Science source, however, due to being an open access publishing company, we advise caution as not all information is properly peer-reviewed. (D. Van Zandt 3/16/2018) Updated (6/8/2019)
Last Updated on December 2, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am