These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate El Nuevo Dia Least Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left on social issues, while at the same time holding right-leaning views regarding statehood nationalism. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to reasonable sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA / Self governing commonwealth Puerto Rico
World Press Freedom Rank: USA/Puerto Rico 48/180
Founded in 1909, as “El Diario de Puerto Rico”, El Nuevo Dia is a tabloid newspaper based in Puerto Rico. Guillermo V. Cintrón, Eugenio Astol, and Nemesio Canales are the founders of the paper. In 1945, Luis A. Ferré acquired the newspaper and later his son of Antonio Ferré Bacallao became the owner of the newspaper. Elnuevodia focuses on news, politics, sports, entertainment, business and technology. Currently, María Luisa Ferré Rangel is the editor.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of The United States. The BBC describes Puerto Rico as “Neither a state nor independent.” The head of government is the Governor, and The Chief of State is the President of the United States (Currently Republican Donald Trump). Puerto Rico has two powerful political parties along with a few smaller parties. These are The Popular Democratic Party (PPD) (pro-Commonwealth/center left views similar to Democrats) and The New Progressive Party (PNP) (pro-statehood similar to Republicans ). On July 24, 2019, Governor Ricardo Rosselló (New Progressive Party) resigned due to the leaked group chat scandal known as chatgate. Currently, former secretary of justice, Wanda Vázquez Garced of the New Progressive Party (PNP) is the Governor of Puerto Rico.
According to an ipsnews article, El Nuevo Dia is a member of The Inter American Press Association (IAPA) with a quote from the article that reads “El Nuevo Día is a member of the Inter American Press Association (IAPA), an organization that has frequently been accused of right-wing bias and political activism.” Further, Luis A. Ferré, who was the owner of El Nuevo Dia, was also the founder of the New Progressive Party.
In review, El Nuevo Dia publishes articles with minimally emotionally loaded language such as these: “Leaked chat between Puerto Rico’s governor and his executive team shakes the island” and “A cry for statehood”.
Further, they also publish tabloid-style articles such as “Residents of a Dominican community catch a crocodile and sacrifice it”. When it comes to sourcing, often El Nuevo Dia hyperlinks to itself as well as to some domestic sources, which we do not know the credibility status, such as sertelnoticias and credible sources such as the Associated Press. When covering world news pertaining to the USA, they cover the Trump administration with a critical tone such as in this article “Another rebuff to the island”.
Editorially, more op-eds favor left-leaning positions such as these:
- Support for those displaced by climate change
- Reaffirming the defense of democratic values
- Puerto Rico´s Recycling Law cannot be postponed
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check by an IFCN fact-checker.
Overall, we rate El Nuevo Dia Least Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left on social issues, while at the same time holding right-leaning views regarding statehood nationalism. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to reasonable sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 9/18/2019)
Last Updated on September 30, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm