Dean Phillips is currently a Democratic member of Congress representing Minnesota’s 3rd district and running for president in 2024. He is a member of the moderate left wing of the Democratic Party. We assign Dean Phillips a Left-Center Biased and Mostly factual rating due to one failed fact check.
Title: U.S. Representative for Minnesota’s 3rd congressional district (2019 – Present)
Political Party: Democratic
Political Alignment: Moderate Left
Factual Rating: Mostly Factual
- Heir to Phillips Distilling Company
- President of Phillips Distilling Company
- President of gelato maker Talenti
- U.S. Representative for Minnesota’s 3rd congressional district (2019 – Present)
Stance on Key Policies:
- Abortion Rights: Pro-Choice – States “The Supreme Court’s decision to unravel decades of settled law and allow states to outlaw abortion with no exceptions is both dangerous and shortsighted, and Congress must take action to codify Roe and protect a woman’s right to make decisions about her health.”
- Economy: Regulated Capitalism – Focuses on lowering costs of goods and services and supports policies that grow the economy by reducing red tape and investing in people.
- Climate Change: Supports Government Action – Considers climate change a threat that must be addressed head-on.
- Education: Public Schools – Advocates for “world-class public education and opportunities for affordable higher education and job training.”
- Foreign Policy: Strong Defense – Via Twitter: “Supporting Ukraine in its defense against the Russian invasion AND preventing the proliferation of weapons to Iranian proxies threatening stability in the Middle East? Yes, please!”
- LGBTQ Rights: Supports – Dean Phillips supports the Equality Act, which would provide comprehensive civil rights protections for LGBTQ individuals. He also voted in favor of the Respect for Marriage Act, stating “to protect same-sex and interracial marriages whenever and wherever they are under attack.”
- Gun Ownership: Gun Control Measures – Calls for courage and action to prevent gun violence. Voted in favor of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act. In favor of H.R. 1808 Assault Weapons Ban of 2022.
- Immigration: Supports Immigration – Supports bipartisan, comprehensive, and fair immigration reforms. Voted in favor of HR 6, the American Dream and Promise Act.
- Health Care: Affordable Care Act – Believes all Americans should have high-quality, affordable healthcare. He is a member of the New Democrat Coalition’s Healthcare Task Force.
- Overall: Moderate Liberal – Dean Phillips’s positions align with center-left principles, advocating for increased government intervention in healthcare, education, and the economy while supporting liberal social policies in abortion rights and LGBTQ rights.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
(D. Van Zandt 10/27/2023) Updated (11/21/2023)
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.
Last Updated on November 21, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check