Mike Pence is a former Vice President of the United States and is running for President of the United States in 2024. He is a member of the conservative wing of the Republican Party. We assign Mike Pence a Right Biased and Mixed factual rating due to numerous failed fact checks.
You are viewing this page with fewer Ads
See all MBFC content Completely Ad-Free
Title: Former Vice President (2017 – 2021) – Presidential Candidate
Political Party: Republican
Political Alignment: Conservative Right
Factual Rating: Mixed
- U.S. Representative for Indiana’s 6th district (2001-2013)
- Governor of Indiana (2013-2017)
- Vice President of the United States (2017-2021)
- Presidential Run: Announced candidacy for the presidency as a Republican nominee (2023).
Stance on Key Policies:
- Abortion Rights: Unfavorable – Pence is a strong pro-life advocate. He has consistently voted against funding for Planned Parenthood and has supported legislation to restrict abortions.
- Economy: Free Market Capitalism – Pence has been a strong proponent of lower taxes and deregulation to promote economic growth. He signed legislation to reduce Indiana’s high marginal tax rates.
- Climate Change: Supports Limited Government Action – Mr. Pence has acknowledged that climate change is real; however, he criticizes the left by saying, “the left’s climate radicalism.” Pence has also expressed skepticism about the human role in climate change. He has opposed regulations aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Education: Choice-Charter-Private Schools – Pence has supported charter schools and opposed Common Core educational standards. Wants to eliminate the education department.
- Foreign Policy: Strong Defense – He strongly supports Ukraine and Israel. He has called for an update on Reagan’s foreign policy.
- LGBTQ Rights: Limited Rights – Pence has been criticized for his stance on LGBTQ rights. He has opposed same-sex marriage and supported legislation critics say allows for discrimination against LGBTQ individuals. Pence is a strong advocate for religious freedom. He signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act as governor of Indiana, which was criticized for potentially allowing discrimination against LGBTQ+ individuals. However, he later signed a revised version of the bill intended to prevent such discrimination.
- Gun Ownership: Limited Gun Control Measures – Pence strongly supports the Second Amendment and has opposed efforts to restrict gun ownership.
- Immigration: Limited Immigration – Pence has supported strict immigration policies, including constructing a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.
- Health Care: Market-Based Health Care – Pence has been a vocal critic of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and has advocated for its repeal. He currently does not have a plan regarding health care, although he states he would be willing to make cuts to Medicare.
- Overall: Conservative – His policy positions and actions align most closely with current conservative principles.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- “The fact is, today abortion law in the United States is more aligned with China and North Korea than with Western nations in Europe.” – False.
- “The family separation policy actually began under the Obama administration.” – False
- Joe Biden’s cancellation of the Keystone pipeline “dramatically increased Americans’ dependence on Russian oil.” – False
- The voting bill known as H.R. 1 “would force states to adopt universal mail-in ballots.” – False
- Says since he and President Trump took office, their policies “led to an unemployment rate of 3.1% in Wisconsin and 61,000 Wisconsin jobs, including 15,000 manufacturing jobs.” – False
(M. Huitsing 07/29/2023)
Last Updated on July 29, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check