These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Detroit Metro Times Left Biased based on story selection that mostly favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1980, The Detroit Metro Times is an alternative weekly located in Detroit, Michigan. It is the largest circulating weekly newspaper in the metro Detroit area. The current editor is Lee DeVito.
Funded by / Ownership
The Detroit Metro Times is owned by Euclid Media Group, which owns several alternative newspapers in the USA. Revenue is derived from advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Detroit Metro Times covers local arts, food, culture, music, entertainment and news. Local news is generally reported via staff writers, with some pieces being in depth. Straight news uses minimally loaded words such as this: Whitmer set to veto Senate’s ban on abortion procedure. News stories are generally sourced through quotes, first hand accounts or hyperlinks. Editorially, the Detroit Metro Times leans strongly left with opinion pieces such as these: We should all be embarrassed by Betsy DeVos’ 60 Minutes interview and 5 bullshit claims at Trump’s raucous rally in Grand Rapids.
In general story selection favors the left and opinion oriented pieces use strong emotional wording to denigrate the right. Most information is sourced properly.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate the Detroit Metro Times Left Biased based on story selection that mostly favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/15/2019)
Last Updated on March 24, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am