These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Deshabhimani Left Biased based on story selection that favors the left as well as affiliation with the Communist Party. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing of information.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: India 140/180
Founded in 1942, Deshabhimani is a Malayalam daily newspaper from the State of Kerala in India. Deshabhimani is the official organ of the Kerala State Committee of the Communist Party of India or CPI (M) and its main focus is the principles of the party.
Funded by / Ownership
Deshabhimani is owned by the Communist Party of India (Marxist). Deshabhimani generates revenue from online advertising and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In 2019, Reporters Without Borders ranked India 140 in their Press Freedom Index, which is borderline completely lacking press freedom. Narendra Modi is the current Prime Minister and right-wing nationalist party, BJP leader.
In review, according to The Wire “most newspapers in India would be completely unprofitable were it not for government advertising and other kinds of rent that they are able to collect.” Bloomberg reports “India’s Government spent $640 million on advertisements.” Therefore, it is crucial for media to be close to the ruling government. Further, paid news, which is defined as an “organized practice in Indian newspapers and other media outlets, where news space and favorable coverage is exchanged for money” is still practiced.
In July 2019, The Independent reported that PM Narendra Modi’s administration “had frozen all advertising spending with the publishers of the Times of India, The Hindu and The Telegraph, three of the country’s highest circulation English-language outlets.” Deshabhimani published an article on this matter, critical of the Modi government’s practice towards using ad spending to punish Indian media.
When it comes to national news reporting, Deshabhimani is critical of the Modi government and publishes articles such as this: “Center for abusing workers”. Furthermore, most articles are poorly sourced, with some sourced through quotes rather than hyperlinks.
When covering world news pertaining to the United States, they publish stories with emotionally loaded headlines and with an anti-Trump tone such these: “Trump hates the film, the world hates Trump” and “There is no clean air or water in India, China or Russia: Trump”.
Editorially, Deshabhimani is strongly pro-Communist party with articles such as this: “The target is the Left; Just be careful”. In general, story selection and political advocacy favors the left.
Overall, we rate Deshabhimani Left Biased based on story selection that favors the left as well as affiliation with the Communist Party. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing of information. (M. Huitsing 7/16/2019)
Last Updated on March 24, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am