Citizens for Tax Justice is a progressive Washington, D.C.-based advocacy and lobbying think tank founded in 1979. CTJ’s work focuses primarily on federal tax policy. CTJ is generally considered to be a left-leaning organization. Still, its research has also been cited by Republican politicians and right-wing tax reform organizations when favorable to their policies. According to their about page, the goal of CTJ is to “ensure working people have a voice in the development of our nation’s tax policies. Against the armies of special interest lobbyists for corporations and the wealthy.”
Funded by / Ownership
Citizens for Tax Justice is a 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. Revenue is derived through donations. The website lacks transparency as they do not disclose donors.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Citizens for Tax Justice advocates for the left-leaning position of “progressive tax policy and ensure federal, state and local taxes reflect the will of the people, not the people in power.” The website does not really publish news but does produce stories that highlight income inequality, such as this CEO to Worker Pay Ratio. Generally, this is a fiscal left-leaning advocacy group that reports factually but lacks financial disclosure.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Citizens for Tax Justice Left-Center Biased based on advocacy for a moderate redistribution of wealth. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency with donors. (D. Van Zandt 9/17/2016) Updated (06/21/2022)
Last Updated on June 21, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am