These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Christian Coalition of America Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the Christian Right and Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources and questionable scientific positions.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The Christian Coalition of America (CCA), previously called the Christian Coalition, is a Conservative Christian advocacy group originally founded by Pat Robertson in 1989. He resigned in 2001. In 1997, Donald P. Hodel was named president. After losing its tax-exempt status, the Christian Coalition of Texas rebranded as the Christian Coalition of America.
Currently, Roberta Combs is serving as the President and CEO, headquartered in Washington, DC.
The Christian Coalition of America (CCA) states its mission as to provide “critical education and political training to the pro-family community to challenge and equip individuals and churches to make a difference at all levels of government.”
Funded by / Ownership
According to the left-leaning Vox, Pat Robertson used his 1988 Republican Primary campaign funds to establish the Christian Coalition. Their revenue is currently based on donations; however, they do not list their donors on the website.
According to the Right Biased and factually mixed World Magazine, “From 2007 to 2014, it collected at least $3.4 million from groups identified with environmentalism or leftist politics: the Green Tech Action Fund, the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund, and the Energy, Hewlett, Marisla, and Rockefeller foundations.” We cannot verify this information as fact.
Analysis / Bias
The Christian Coalition of America promotes conservative “pro-family” policies, such as anti-abortion and anti-LGBTQ platforms. They also clearly state their agenda, including the following: Repeal Obama Care (ACA), Stand with Israel, Reduce Government Spending and Debt, Strength through the Military, and defense of the 2nd Amendment. Further, according to Open Secrets, the CCA contributes money to Republicans 100% of the time.
In review, the CCA publishes news stories favorable to the Republican party on their Capitol Hill Update section, such as this: Senator Ted Cruz Issues Statement on Iran’s JCPOA Violation. They also republish news stories from mixed factual right-leaning sources such as The Federalist: Rep. Chip Roy Rolls Out Healthcare Freedom and occasionally Questionable sources such as CNS News.
CCA also offers a commentary section that promotes pro-Christian opinions through the use of loaded language such as this: Radicals struggling to rewrite history. This story contains zero sourcing to support their claims.
Regarding the science of Climate Change, CCA sends conflicting messages. For example, they state as part of their platform on energy independence, “We believe that we can better ensure our national security and strengthen our economy at the same time by developing American energy resources and investing in clean, renewable energy technologies that create American jobs.” However, this statement seems to be at odds with their position on climate change.
- Seventeen Years Of Fallacy Of ‘AGW’ Proven
- Simply Checking Weather Reveals ‘Global Cooling’
- Global Warming Believers Misunderstand Closed System
The Christian Coalition of America generally promotes a conservative agenda through right-biased story selection and advocacy for a policy that favors the Right.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Christian Coalition of America Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the Christian Right and Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources and questionable scientific positions. (M. Huitsing 7/3/2019) Updated (06/17/2022)
Last Updated on June 17, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am