International Climate Science Coalition
Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate the ICSC a Quackery level pseudoscience organization based on routinely denying human impact on climate change, which differs from the consensus of climate scientists.
Factual Reporting: LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
Founded in 2007, The International Climate Science Coalition describes itself as “a non-partisan group of independent scientists, economists and energy and policy experts who are working to promote better understanding of climate science and policy worldwide.” ICSC arose out of the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition. The Executive Director is Tom Harris a Mechanical Engineer (not a Climate Scientist). He has spoken at the Heartland Institute, a climate change denial lobby group.
Read our profile on Canadian government influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
The ICSC claims to be funded by private individuals, however, according to Sourcewatch they received $45K from the Heartland Institute in 2007. According to their website they do not publish a list of their donors: “ICSC keeps the identity of donors strictly confidential to protect their privacy and safety.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, ICSC is a climate skeptics organization that either denies or minimizes human’s impact on global warming (climate change). ICSC lists a core of principles that reads as follows:
- Global climate is always changing in accordance with natural causes and recent changes are not unusual.
- Science is rapidly evolving away from the view that humanity’s emissions of carbon dioxide and other ‘greenhouse gases’ are a cause of dangerous climate change.
- Climate models used by the IPCC* fail to reproduce known past climates without manipulation and therefore lack the scientific integrity needed for use in climate prediction and related policy decision-making.
- The UN IPCC Summary for Policymakers and the assertions of IPCC executives too often seriously mis-represent the conclusions of their own scientific reports.
- Claims that ‘consensus’ exists among climate experts regarding the causes of the modest warming of the past century are contradicted by thousands of independent scientists.
- Carbon dioxide is not a pollutant – it is a necessary reactant in plant photosynthesis and so is essential for life on Earth.
- Research that identifies the Sun as a major driver of global climate change must be taken more seriously.
- Global cooling has presented serious problems for human society and the environment throughout history while global warming has generally been highly beneficial.
- It is not possible to reliably predict how climate will change in the future, beyond the certainty that multi-decadal warming and cooling trends, and abrupt changes, will all continue, underscoring a need for effective adaptation.
- Since science and observation have failed to substantiate the human-caused climate change hypothesis, it is premature to damage national economies with `carbon’ taxes, emissions trading or other schemes to control ‘greenhouse gas’ emissions.
Although the International Climate Science Coalition does not feel there is a consensus on climate change, the consensus shows that most of these listed above are not supported by the consensus of climate scientist.
On the side bar of the website they list several websites that they claim are must read. These websites are also climate denying organizations such as Watts Up with That and the Climate Depot.
Overall, we rate the ICSC a Quackery level pseudoscience organization based on routinely denying human impact on climate change, which differs from the consensus of climate scientists. (D. Van Zandt 4/10/2019)
Protecting you from fake news sites since 2015