These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Central News Agency (CNA) / Focus Taiwan, Left-Center Biased based on significant funding from the Government, which is currently ruled by the Democratic Progressive Party. However, this rating may change in the future when Government funding is removed. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Taiwan 43/180
Founded in Guangzhou, China on April 1, 1924, the Central News Agency (CNA) is Taiwan’s state-run national news agency and it is operated by the Chinese government. Focus Taiwan is the English language news website of the Central News Agency (CNA). According to their about page, in 1996 after a law passed by the Legislative Yuan, CNA reorganized and became a nonprofit corporation.
CNA focuses on news, politics, sports, entertainment, business, and technology. Currently, the CNA President is Chang Jui-chang and the CNA Chairman is Liu Ka-shiang who is also a writer, nature observer, and veteran journalist. CNA is based in Taipei, Taiwan
Funded by / Ownership
The Central News Agency’s (CNA) overseeing authority is the Taiwanese Ministry of Culture who appoints the chairman and the board. According to an article published in 2013 by the Taipei Times “The CNA (Central News Agency) and the PTS (Public Television Service) receive about NT$300 million and NT$900 million (US $9.9 million and US $29.9 million) in government funding each year respectively.” In 2018, Culture Minister Cheng Li-chiun announced that Public Television Service (PTS), Central News Agency (CNA), Radio Taiwan International (RTI), and Chinese Television System (CTS) will all be merged into one “media group.” They further report “The new organization will also require substantial and sustainable funding from a public media development fund, potentially a mix of public, self-raised and private investment, which will eventually remove government funding.” Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In 2020 Reporters Without Borders ranked Taiwan 43 out of 180 countries in their Press Freedom Index.
Currently, the President of Taiwan is Tsai Ing-wen, who is a member of the center-left Democratic Progressive Party and also The first woman to be elected to the office.
In review, CNA publishes articles with neutral language such as “President Tsai unveils growth roadmap for southern Taiwan”, and reports with balance, representing both sides. For example, in the same article, they also publish the opposition KMT (Center-Right) presidential candidate Daniel Han Kuo-yu’s view, who is running against President Tsai Ing-wen. In another article that reports on same-sex marriage, there is again little bias present: “Taiwan records almost 1,200 gay marriages, 2 divorces since May 24”.
When it comes to sourcing, CNA’s media partners include the Associated Press, Reuters, Agence France-Presse, Deutsche Welle, and Bloomberg. However, articles often do not contain hyperlinks. When covering world news, pertaining to the USA, they cover the Trump admin with a neutral tone such as in this: “Trump approves F-16 sale to Taiwan.” Scientifically, CNA is generally pro-science with news stories concerned about climate change.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Central News Agency (CNA) / Focus Taiwan, Left-Center Biased based on significant funding from the Government, which is currently ruled by the Democratic Progressive Party. However, this rating may change in the future when Government funding is removed. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 12/11/2020)
Last Updated on December 11, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am