These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Channel News Asia (CNA) Least Biased based on balanced story selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to credible sources and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1999 by Mediacorp, CNA (Channel News Asia) is an English language Asian transmedia news outlet that focuses on news, economy, business, human stories, current affairs, and documentary programming. CNA is headquartered in Singapore and has Singapore and International editions. CNA’s TV channel also broadcasts live reports and interviews. It is viewed in 29 territories, including Asia, the Middle East, and Australia.
Mediacorp is a public broadcaster that has a monopoly over TV channels and radio stations. Mediacorp is owned by Temasek Holdings which is a Singaporean state investment firm. Lim Boon Heng is the current chairman of Temasek Holdings.
Funded by / Ownership
Mediacorp owns CNA. The Singapore government owns Mediacorp through its investment arm Temasek. CNA (Channel News Asia) revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In 2022, Singapore was ranked 139/180 by Reporters Without Borders in the Press Freedom Index. In their report, they state, “As a result of judicial and financial pressure from the authorities, self-censorship is widespread, including within the alternative, independent media.”
Lee Hsien Loong the current Prime Minister of Singapore. He is also the Secretary-General of the center-right People’s Action Party ( PAP). The Singapore Government controls CNA, and the Government is known for its conservative Center-right stance.
In review, when covering Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, CNA utilizes a neutral tone in their headlines such as this “Don’t ‘drop workers’: Companies and workers should take the long view, says PM Lee in May Day message.” On the other hand, when covering opposition Workers Party leader Pritam Singh, they also maintain a neutral tone “WP’s Pritam Singh calls for ‘thorough review’ of Singaporean living wage following ‘useful lessons’ from COVID-19”. Therefore they give equal voice to both sides. Furthermore, they source through quotes rather than hyperlinks.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Channel News Asia (CNA) Least Biased based on balanced story selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to credible sources and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 05/15/2020) Updated (05/22/2022)
Last Updated on May 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am