These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate the Taipei Times Least Biased based on balanced news reporting that often does not favor China. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Taiwan 43/180
Established on June 15, 1999, The Taipei Times is the only printed daily English-language newspaper in Taiwan.
Funded by / Ownership
The Taipei Times is owned by Liberty Times Group, which also publishes a Chinese-language newspaper, the Liberty Times, Taiwan’s biggest newspaper by circulation, with a pro–Taiwan independence editorial line.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Taipei Times publishes Taiwan News, World News, Business, and Editorials. According to Reporters without Borders, media independence in Taiwan is on hold as they claim the main threat to media freedom comes from China, which has been exerting growing economic and political pressure on the Taiwanese media. However, freedomhouse.org indicates Taiwan’s media environment as one of the freest in Asia as of 2016.
Articles and headlines often use minimally loaded language such as this Three alleged Chinese cyberagents held. Editorially, they favor the pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) while reporting negatively on China such as this Hong Kongers need help, not pity. When reporting on the USA they often rely on the Associated Press and report neutrally on USA politics Biden chooses retired army general Lloyd Austin as secretary of defense.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Taipei Times Least Biased based on balanced news reporting that often does not favor China. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 8/17/2017) Updated (12/11/2020)
Last Updated on December 11, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am