These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Taiwan News Left-Center Biased based on socially liberal editorial positions. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, versus High, due to a failed fact check.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: Taiwan 43/180
Taiwan News was founded June 6, 1949, as China News. In 1976, the paper was renamed Taiwan News and is published by Luis Ko and in 2015, Taiwan News switched to an all-digital format. Taiwan News publishes topics including World News, Business, Editorials, Sports and Entertainment, New Immigrants, and more.
Funded by / Ownership
Taiwan News is owned and published by Luis Ko. Revenue is derived primarily through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
According to Reporters Without Borders, media independence in Taiwan is on hold as they claim the main threat to media freedom comes from China, which has been exerting growing economic and political pressure on the Taiwanese media. However, freedomhouse.org indicates Taiwan’s media environment as one of the freest in Asia by 2016. Taiwan News reports international news with low bias as they use sources such as AP and maintain factual reporting and neutral words such as The Latest: Trump says Harvey has ‘profoundly’ affected US.
Editorially, Taiwan News affiliates with the socially liberal Pan Green Coalition, which advocates for human rights, including support for gender equality, but they also advocate economic liberalism and Taiwanese national identity. Put another way “moderate left nationalism.” In general, news reporting is mostly factual with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Taiwan News Left-Center Biased based on socially liberal editorial positions. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, versus High, due to a failed fact check. (M. Huitsing 9/2/2017) Updated (4/12/2020)
Last Updated on December 11, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds