These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Center of the American Experiment Right Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor a conservative/libertarian perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources and a lack of transparency in disclosing their funders.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1990 by Mitch Pearlstein, The Center of the American Experiment is a Minnesota-based think tank that advocates for conservative and libertarian free-market principles. Mitch Pearlstein is an author who served two years at the US Department of Education under President Ronald Reagan. According to their about page, “The Center is more than a think tank. It not only researches and produces papers on Minnesota’s economy, education, health care, the family, employee freedom, and state and local governance. It also crafts and proposes creative solutions that emphasize free enterprise, limited government, personal responsibility, and government accountability.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Center of the American Experiment is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Funding is derived through donations. However, there is a lack of transparency as they do not disclose donors. According to the left-leaning Sourcewatch, they have received significant funding from the Bradley Foundation, Adolf Coors Foundation, and the Questionable Turning Point USA.
Analysis / Bias
The Center of the American Experiment conducts policy research drafts legislation that contributes to conservative causes and lobbies. The website focuses on Minnesota’s economy and governance and publishes national-related news. Articles and headlines do not contain loaded wording such as this Closing Minnesota’s Budget Deficit. This 20-page report is properly sourced. The website also features articles written by staff members that appear in other publications, such as The Hill: The Blackouts Have Only Just Begun.
Editorially, research and stories favor a right-leaning conservative perspective. Scientifically, they do not deny human-influenced climate change; however, they frequently minimize the impacts of climate change and favor free-market solutions such as this Teachers’ union encourages English teachers to promote political agenda around climate change. When reporting on Covid-19, they tend to promote the harm caused by lockdowns rather than the harm of the disease, such as this Covid-19 recession will cause 59,000 deaths annually for the next 15 years. Finally, the Center of the American Experiment frequently reports positively on former President Trump while denigrating the left, such as this In the Tank: Liberals Ungrateful Under the Trump Administration. This story is a podcast conducted with the climate change denial organization Heartland Institute. In general, the news reporting is mostly factual with a right editorial bias; however, some information pertaining to science is misleading.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Center of the American Experiment Right Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor a conservative/libertarian perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources and a lack of transparency in disclosing their funders. (D. Van Zandt 2/24/2021) Updated (02/18/2022)
Last Updated on February 18, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am