Last updated on April 24th, 2021 at 02:11 pm
- Overall, we rate Turning Point USA Right Biased and Questionable based on propaganda, conspiracy theories, and numerous failed fact checks.
Questionable Reasoning: Promotion of Propaganda, Numerous Failed Fact Checks, Conspiracy Theories
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Turning Point USA is an American conservative or right-wing 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded on June 5, 2012, by Wheeling, Illinois high school graduate Charlie Kirk. The organization states its mission is to “identify, educate, train, and organize students to promote fiscal responsibility, free markets, and limited government.” Turning Point USA is noted for its Professor Watchlist, which lists college professors it alleges “discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom.”
Funded by / Ownership
Turning Point USA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Turning Point USA receives considerable funding from multiple conservative groups and organizations. According to Poynter Institute, “Turning Point USA, which is a de facto super PAC for conservatives’ student government campaigns.” TPUSA also has connections to the Heartland Institute, a known source for dubious science concerning climate change.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website does not publish news. It simply provides information about the organization and its policy stances, which are always right-leaning. Although they do not publish news on their website, they make political claims through social media and media. They also have a separate website that publishes right-wing biased news that is generally well-sourced and uses minimal loaded words, but story selection always favors the right.
Failed Fact Checks
- Says U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi said, “Employers cutting hours is a good thing. It then gives that person time to pursue their dreams and passions.” – FALSE
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg Taken Way Out of Context – OUT OF CONTEXT
- Did Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Say it Was ‘Wrong’ for Billionaires to Exist? – MOSTLY FALSE
- Bogus Biden Quote Circulates Again – FALSE
- DID THOMAS JEFFERSON SAY, ‘THAT GOVERNMENT IS BEST WHICH GOVERNS THE LEAST’? – FALSE
- Unverified Teddy Roosevelt ‘Quotation’ Lives On – FALSE
- HR 1 “gives the federal government the power to establish their own committees” to take over the redistricting process. – MOSTLY FALSE
- Says science shows the physiological effects of wearing masks include hypoxemia, hypercapnia, shortness of breath, toxicity, and increased muscle tension. – FALSE
Of Note, Charlie Kirk routinely publishes false information on Twitter such as this.
Overall, we rate Turning Point USA Right Biased and Questionable based on propaganda, conspiracy theories, and numerous failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 9/17/2017) Updated (04/18/2021)