- Overall, we rate Turning Point USA, Questionable based on the promotion of propaganda and numerous failed fact checks. Note: on 4/10/2019 Turning Points USA failed their fifth fact check, which moves them from Right Biased to the Questionable category.
Reasoning: Promotion of Propaganda, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Turning Point USA is an American conservative or right-wing 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded on June 5, 2012, by Wheeling, Illinois high school graduate Charlie Kirk. The organization states its mission is to “identify, educate, train, and organize students to promote fiscal responsibility, free markets, and limited government.” Turning Point USA is noted for its Professor Watchlist, which lists college professors it alleges “discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom.”
Funded by / Ownership
Turning Point USA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Turning Point USA receives considerable funding from multiple conservative groups and organizations. According to Poynter Institute “Turning Point USA, which is a de facto super PAC for conservatives’ student government campaigns.” TPUSA also has connections to the Heartland Institute, which is a known source for dubious science concerning climate change.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website does not publish news. It simply provides information about the organization and its policy stances, which are always right-leaning. Although they do not publish news on their website, they do make political claims through social media and in the media. They also have a separate website that publishes right-wing biased news that is generally well-sourced and uses minimal loaded words, but story selection always favors the right.
Failed Fact Checks
- Says U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi said, “Employers cutting hours is a good thing. It then gives that person time to pursue their dreams and passions.” – FALSE
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg Taken Way Out of Context – OUT OF CONTEXT
- Did Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Say it Was ‘Wrong’ for Billionaires to Exist? – MOSTLY FALSE
- Bogus Biden Quote Circulates Again – FALSE
- DID THOMAS JEFFERSON SAY, ‘THAT GOVERNMENT IS BEST WHICH GOVERNS THE LEAST’? – FALSE
- Unverified Teddy Roosevelt ‘Quotation’ Lives On – FALSE
Of Note, Charlie Kirk routinely publishes false information on Twitter such as this.
Overall, we rate Turning Point USA, Questionable based on the promotion of propaganda and numerous failed fact checks. Note: on 4/10/2019 Turning Point USA failed their fifth fact check, which moves them from Right Biased to the Questionable category. (D. Van Zandt 9/17/2017) Updated (01/18/2021)