These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Black Lives Matter Left Biased based on political positions aligned with the progressive Democratic platform. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency with funding and failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2013, Black Lives Matter (BLM) is an international activist movement originating in the African-American community that campaigns against violence and systemic racism toward black people. BLM regularly protests police killings of black people and broader issues of racial profiling, police brutality, and racial inequality in the United States criminal justice system. According to their about page, “The Black Lives Matter Global Network is a chapter-based, member-led organization whose mission is to build local power and to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.”
The movement began after the death of Trayvon Martin and the subsequent acquittal of his killer, George Zimmerman. However, it was not until 1 year later, with the death of Michael Brown, that Black Lives Matter became organized and not just a hashtag.
BLM has faced criticism and negative perception that seems to vary based on race and political affiliation. After the formation of Black Lives Matter, the phrase All Lives Matter appeared. The phrase All Lives Matter has been called racist and criticized for not understanding the message of BLM. Further, after the shooting of two police officers in Ferguson, the hashtag Blue Lives Matter was created, a website with the same name. There have also been black civil rights leaders that disagreed with the tactics used by Black Lives Matter activists. Finally, some on the very far right have characterized BLM as a terrorist organization, despite the FBI never using that classification.
Funded by / Ownership
Black Lives Matter is a loose confederation of groups advocating for racial justice with a decentralized structure of local chapters. Funding comes through donations and a shop that sells merchandise. They lack transparency as they do not list top donors or information on what groups fund them.
Analysis / Bias
We covered the history and criticisms of Black Lives Matter above in our history section. Our analysis will cover the content of the website.
In review, The BLM website covers news about Black Lives Matter events and their organization and news regarding violence and racism toward African-Americans. Headlines are typically non-sensational such as this Never Forget Mike Brown and this Black Lives Matter Global Network Withdraws Support from California’s AB 392. All information in articles is appropriately sourced.
Editorially, Black Lives Matter is opposed to the policies of the Trump administration and the Republican Party.
- BLM Stands Against Trump’s Policy Separating Children and Families
- #TrumpShutDown is Indicative of the Republican Party’s Inability to Govern Ethically and Responsibly
- This Black Lives Matter chapter just clapped back at the NRA with a biting ad of its own
- Can Black Lives Matter Win in the Age of Trump?
BLM created a list called What Matters 2020, highlighting what their campaign focused on. The majority of this list aligns with the Democratic Party.
- Racial Injustice
- Police Brutality
- Criminal Justice Reform
- Black Immigration
- Economic Injustice
- LGBTQIA+ and Human Rights
- Environmental Conditions
- Voting Rights & Suppression
- Government Corruption
- Commonsense Gun Laws
Failed Fact Checks
- “Biden is currently sending more military equipment to our neighborhoods than Trump did.” – False
- “Ma’Khia Bryant called the police for help. Columbus police officer Nicholas Reardon showed up and shot this 16-year-old child point-blank within a matter of seconds.” – No Evidence
Overall, we rate Black Lives Matter Left Biased based on political positions aligned with the progressive Democratic platform. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency with funding and failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 11/14/2016) Updated (4/14/2022)
Last Updated on April 14, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am