These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Black Main Street Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to the occasional use of poor sources.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
According to their about page, Black Main Street was founded in 2015 by Yusuf Asturias and Anthony Alleyne. It was initially established as a Social Networking site for Black-Owned Businesses. It is a “premier news and culture site for the global Black community.”
Predominantly, Black Main Street focuses on everything related to the African American community, such as news, politics, business, current events, historical articles, and more. Black Main Street accepts articles submitted by readers, and they have a sister website called blackjunction.com, which was established in 2016. They state their main focus is “to build a Black Media network large enough to rival the Media Giants.”
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, under the “Black Business Spotlight” section, they promote Black Entrepreneurs and businesses such as “This Black Entrepreneur Is Teaching Teens From Chicago How To Build Their Own Business.” Black Main Street also publishes news articles with emotionally loaded language, such as “Trump’s 2020 Campaign Caught Using STOLEN Photos Of Black People With Photoshopped MAGA Hats”.
They also have a subsection called “Missing Person” where they exclusively publish African Americans that are missing, such as “UPDATED: Police Searching For Missing 3-Yr-Old Miracle Crook and 2-Yr-Old Tony Crook; Mother arrested”. Finally, they frequently report on injustice, and police brutality toward African Americans Dad Wants Cop Fired For Pointing Gun at His Toddler Son. Regarding sourcing, they generally use credible sources such as Yahoo News and factually mixed sources like The Sun.
Editorially, most stories favor the left and denigrate the right, particularly former President Donald Trump, “Donald Trump Says He Has A “New Deal For Black America.” A quote from the article reads, “Donald Trump laid out his plan to help the Black community – in front of his usual mostly white audience. In his usual snarky demeanor, Trump painted an unrealistic picture of the entire Black community being in dire poverty and himself as the person to fix all the problems.” Generally, the news is reported mostly factually with a strong left-leaning bias in story selection and editorial positions.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Black Main Street Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to the occasional use of poor sources. (M. Huitsing 6/19/2020) Updated (06/20/2022)
Last Updated on June 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am