These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The City Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2019, The City is an online publication that provides news and opinions about the 5 boroughs of New York City. According to their about page, “THE CITY is an independent, nonprofit news outlet dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York. Our reporters pound the pavement in all five boroughs, working with New Yorkers to tell their stories and make their lives better.” For a full masthead of staff, see here.
Funded by / Ownership
The City is a nonprofit that is funded through donations. They are transparent by listing their largest donors as follows:
- Leon Levy Foundation
- Craig Newmark Philanthropies
- Charles H. Revson Foundation
- Arnold Ventures
- The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
- Oak Foundation
- Richard Ravitch Foundation
Analysis / Bias
In review, The City has a partnership with New York Media, in which their stories are published on the New York Magazine website. The City provides original reporting ranging from local first person accounting to in-depth investigations covering lifestyle and politics.
The City typically does not use loaded emotional language in articles and headlines such as this: Trained Operators for Coronavirus Patient Ventilators Scarce in New York. This story, like most, is correctly sourced to credible outlets such as NYC.gov and the State Department of Education. Story selection tends to lean left with many articles covering social justice and education. Generally, the news is reported factually with a slight left-leaning bias in story selection.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate The City Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record. (D. Van Zandt 3/23/2020) Updated (08/01/2022)
Last Updated on August 1, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am