These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Sorrentino Right-Center Biased based on economic positions that favor the right, while also promoting left-leaning social liberty positions. Further, we rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of other factually Mixed sources, as well as a known conspiracy website.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in October 2018, The Sorrentino is a news and opinion blog with the tagline “News, Opinion, Liberty, and Freedom”, which is founded and run by Nick Sorrentino. According to their about page The Sorrentino covers “economics, to foreign policy, to pop culture, to domestic politics, everything is in play.” The about page further states “Born out of our work at Against Crony Capitalism and AC2News.com THE SORRENTINO seeks to apply the same rigor and spirit on a broader scale.”
Nick Sorrentino is the Co-Founder and editor of Against Crony Capitalism.
Funded by / Ownership
The website does not clearly state ownership but does indicate that THE SORRENTINO is part of the AC2 News family. At this time there does not appear to be a source of revenue for this website, as there is no advertising, nor a donation link or Patreon account.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Sorrentino’s format is very similar to Against Crony Capitalism in that they publish a snippet of a news article, and then offer opinions based on the content. They then link to the original article. In general, they choose mainstream sources such as The Hill, CNBC, Washington Post, Fox News, and the National Review. Headlines and wording use moderately loaded language that favors the right such as: The New Deal was a massive mistake for the USA. A “green” New Deal is just more cronyism and More Shutdown Awesomeness: Hundreds of TSA screeners calling out sick (The “blue flu”). We have also found very strong loaded words within articles such as this quote: “De Blasio may be a socialist/commie but he’s also a crony capitalist. (Which is the way it always works with socialist jefe types.)” Further, this article is linked to the Conspiracy website ZeroHedge, which has a horrible track record with fact-checkers.
Editorially, they do not distinguish between opinion pieces and straight news, however, this is essentially an opinion website that favors libertarian policy and generally limited government intervention. Although The Sorrentino is strong to the right when it comes to economic issues, they are left of center on social issues, such as this: Kentucky GOP lawmaker, pushing for pot legalization, says he smoked a joint while battling cancer. In this article, the author opines, “We are for cannabis legalization for a myriad of reasons. First, the war on pot is deeply crony. Illegal pot is good for entrenched law enforcement agencies, the drug dealers who can charge above-market prices under a prohibition regime, and Pharma which would like to keep selling Americans highly profitable pain (and other) meds. (Instead of pot.)”
In general, story selection favors free-market capitalism and limited government (Right), while promoting social liberty (Left).
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate The Sorrentino Right-Center Biased based on economic positions that favor the right, while also promoting left-leaning social liberty positions. Further, we rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of other factually Mixed sources, as well as a known conspiracy website. (1/9/2019) Updated (D. Van Zandt 1/14/2019)
Last Updated on November 14, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am