- Overall, we rate the Anchorage Daily News Least Biased based on editorial positions that reasonably present both sides. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1946, the Anchorage Daily News is the largest newspaper in Alaska, serving the greater Anchorage and surrounding area. The newspaper has won the Pulitzer Prize twice in the “Public Service” category, in 1976 and 1989. In 2014, the paper became known as The Alaska Dispatch, and in 2018 they rebranded back to the Anchorage Daily News. The current editor is David Hulen.
Funded by / Ownership
The Anchorage Daily News is owned by Binkley Co., which owns 4 newspapers. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Anchorage Daily News covers local news through reporters with minimal bias such as this: Anchorage awards $1 million in small-business grants to help with pandemic recovery. National and international news is republished through the Associated Press and the Washington Post, and LA Times.
Editorially, the Anchorage Daily News never endorsed Presidential Candidates; however, we indicated they had in error in our previous review. Editor David Hulen contacted MBFC via email and informed us of this error, and added that they recently endorsed Republican candidates in local elections. A thorough review of op-eds reveals more slightly more favor the left. In general, the news is reported factually, and this update moves ADN to least biased based on balanced editorial positions that reasonably present both perspectives.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Anchorage Daily News Least Biased based on editorial positions that reasonably present both sides. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/12/2016) Updated (6/08/2021)
Last Updated on June 8, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds