These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The American Independent Left biased based on story selection that always favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency with funding and ownership.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The American Independent Institute is a nonprofit organization that funds liberal investigative journalism efforts. The organization aims to support journalism, which exposes “the nexus of conservative power in Washington.” The current institute, started by David Brock in 2014, is a relaunch of the former state-based digital news-gathering network known as the American Independent News Network. The journalists funded by The American Independent Institute have been published in mostly large left-wing media outlets such as Alternet, Huffington Post, The Nation, and Washington Monthly.
According to their about page, “The American Independent is the No. 1 digital platform for progressive news, reaching millions of people each month. We strive to report with honesty and integrity, shining a light on those in power and covering the progressive political movement.”
Funded by / Ownership
The American Independent lacks transparency when it comes to disclosing ownership. The only clue to ownership is this written at the bottom of the website: True Blue Media LLC. The website also fails to disclose that Democratic political operative David Brock owns an 80% share. David Brock also controls Media Matters for America and the super PAC American Bridge 21st Century, which focuses on “tracking” Republican candidates. The American Independent also does not disclose donors. Revenue is derived through advertising and donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the American Independent publishes original news stories with moderately loaded language: Trump silent as his allies attack Pete Buttigieg for being gay. This story is sourced adequately to the Washington Post and Daily Beast. The website also republishes news content from the Associated Press.
The American Independent and all of David Brock’s properties heavily supported Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton in 2016. They also frequently reported negatively on Progressive candidate Bernie Sanders. However, in 2020 they do not appear to be picking a single candidate but instead are focused on discrediting Donald Trump, such as this Trump claims he saved the Philippines from ISIS. He didn’t. In general, news reporting is highly biased in favor of the left and reasonably sourced to credible media outlets.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate The American Independent Left biased based on story selection that always favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency with funding and ownership. (D. Van Zandt 8/5/2017) Updated (11/14/2021)
Last Updated on November 14, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am