A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Youm7 Right-Center biased and Questionable due to poor sourcing techniques and the consistent promotion of one-sided government propaganda.
Questionable Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Propaganda
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: TOTAL OPPRESSION
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Established in 2008, Youm7.com is a website of the daily Arabic-language Egyptian newspaper Al Youm Al Sabea (Youm7). Youm7 is based in Giza, Egypt, mainly focusing on news and politics, lifestyle, and culture.
Funded by / Ownership
The Egyptian Media Group owns Youm7 through Eagle Capital which the State owns through General Intelligence. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Currently, former General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi is the President of Egypt, who is known as a militaristic nationalist.
Youm7 publishes articles positively towards Al-Sisi, such as the article “President Sisi: People have the right to earn, but it is reasonable so that there is no burden on the citizen.” For sourcing, they often use quotes and use MENA or Middle East News Agency, a government-run news agency based in Egypt. When reporting foreign news, youm7 utilizes sources such as Bloomberg and RT through quotes, “Bloomberg: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for $43 billion.”
While Youm7 has not directly failed a fact check, they frequently report misinformation from the government. For example, they published this quote from El Sisi “The Egyptian state confirms its commitment to respect the right of physical safety, personal freedom, political practice, freedom of expression, forming civil societies, and the right of litigation. Egypt has always welcomed diversity of opinions.” According to Polygraph.info, this is false. In general, they are a pro-government propaganda source.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Youm7 Right-Center biased and Questionable due to poor sourcing techniques and the consistent promotion of one-sided government propaganda. (M. Huitsing 04/14/2022)
Last Updated on April 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. Senate Gives Final Congressional Approval To $40 Billion Aid Package For Ukraineby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 10:17 pm
- Finland and Sweden Apply for NATO Membershipby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 5:59 pm
- New Twitter policy aims to pierce fog of war misinformationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 5:43 pm
- Biden To Meet Swedish, Finnish Leaders On NATO Membershipby newsfactsnetwork on May 19, 2022 at 2:24 pm
- Texas asks Supreme Court to keep state social media censorship law in effectby newsfactsnetwork on May 19, 2022 at 12:17 pm