These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate ABS-CBN Least Biased based on balanced story selection and some opposition to the government. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record and the use of proper sources.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
ABS-CBN Corporation is a media and entertainment organization based in the Philippines and founded in 1946. It is the Philippines’ leading information and entertainment multimedia conglomerate. According to their about page, the company is primarily involved in television, radio broadcasting, and web publishing. Eugenio Lopez III is the chairman of ABS-CBN Corporation.
Funded by / Ownership
ABS-CBN is a corporation that owns and controls numerous media outlets in the Philippines. They generate revenue through advertising, subscription fees, and sales.
Analysis / Bias
Reporters without Borders (RSF) has ranked the Philippines among one of the worst-ranked countries for 2020 at 136th place out of 180 countries and indicates that “The Philippines continues to be one of the most dangerous countries for the media. Private militias, often hired by local politicians, silence journalists with complete impunity.”
Regarding the political stance of ABS-CBN, according to a Manila Times article, President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to block the ABS-CBN franchise renewal as he claimed the network did not show his political ads during the 2016 campaign. However, his campaign team had paid for the air time.
In review, on national news ABS-CBN utilizes neutral or minimally biased language both on headlines and articles; however, they tend to use large quotes instead of linking the source. International news coverage is syndicated directly from AFP and Reuters, which we rate as least biased.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate ABS-CBN Least Biased based on balanced story selection and some opposition to the government. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record and the use of proper sources. (M. Huitsing 12/18/2017) Updated (12/23/2021)
Last Updated on January 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am