Founded in 2012, State of the Nation (formerly State of the Nation 2012) is a propaganda and conspiracy website that focuses on right-wing politics. According to their about page, “SOTN has no other interest except uncovering and presenting the facts. SOTN commentary provides a uniquely insightful perspective rarely found anywhere else in the alternative news media.”
The website completely lacks transparency as it does not name authors, editors, or owners.
Funded by / Ownership
State of the Nation lacks transparency as they do not disclose ownership and there does not appear to be a source of revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, State of the Nation does not write original content, but rather links to other news sources, videos, social media, etc. They also republish news from other sources. Story selection comes from a far-right perspective with many stories promoting conspiracy theories such as this Here’s the Raw Truth about the Covid-19 Vaccine. (Video). This is a video that features Anti-vaccination Dr. Simone Gold, who has made numerous false claims regarding the Coronavirus. She was also arrested for taking part in the Capitol riots on January 6th. When it comes to sourcing they frequently use far-right questionable sources such as Breitbart, Zero Hedge, and the Gateway Pundit.
Editorially, all stories favor the right and particular former President Trump such as this Palm Beach County Harassing Trump, Chasing Him Out of Mar-a-Lago. In general, SOTN is not a credible source of information as they routinely promote far-right conspiracies, propaganda, and pseudoscience.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate State of the Nation (SOTN) extreme right biased and Questionable based on the promotion of propaganda, conspiracy theories, and pseudoscience as well as the use of poor sources, a complete lack of transparency, and false claims. (D. Van Zandt 1/13/2017) Updated (2/1/2021)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/16/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 16, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emerging Europeby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 16, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/15/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am