Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information; therefore, fact-checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate ZeroHedge an extreme right-biased conspiracy website based on the promotion of false/misleading/debunked information that routinely denigrates the left.
Bias Rating: RIGHT CONSPIRACY/PSEUDOSCIENCE
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2009, ZeroHedge or Zero Hedge is a finance blog founded by Colin Lokey, also known as “Tyler Durden,” Daniel Ivandjiiski, and Tim Backshall. According to a Bloomberg Interview, the ZeroHedge founders/authors were anonymous until 2016. A Professional Service Subscription is required to read the rest of Bloomberg’s interview; however, a New Yorker article also covered their history.
ZeroHedge wrote a rebuttal article regarding the Bloomberg interview that can be found here. A quote reads: “Zero Hedge hired Colin after he approached us over a year ago begging for a job after being fired with cause from Seeking Alpha, following a fight with a co-worker.”
On 02/15/2022, U.S. intelligence officials accused Zero Hedge of amplifying Kremlin propaganda targeting Ukrainians and taking direction from Russian spies. Zero Hedge denies the claim.
Funded by / Ownership
The website is registered in Bulgaria under the name Georgi Georgiev, a business partner of Krassimir Ivandjiiski.
Analysis / Bias
A quote from the above New Yorker article summarizes the blog’s political stance, which Lokey told Bloomberg is: “Russia=good. Obama=idiot. Bashar al-Assad=benevolent leader. John Kerry= dunce. Vladimir Putin=greatest leader in the history of statecraft.”
In review, ZeroHedge publishes pro-right wing/Trump articles such as Pat Buchanan: “Trump Calls Off Cold War II.” As well as fake news stories regarding liberals: Anti-Trump Protesters Bused Into Austin, Chicago.
Editorial content is written under the pseudonym Tyler Durden and usually focuses on conspiracies related to economic collapse. Zero Hedge sources to factually mixed think tanks such as The Mises Institute, which promotes Austrian (Anarcho-Capitalism) economics. Finally, during the Coronavirus outbreak of 2020, they have frequently promoted false and misleading information, as evidenced by failed fact checks below.
Failed Fact Checks
- Says China “stole Coronavirus from Canada and weaponized it into a Bioweapon.” – False
- Craigslist ad proof counterprotesters at a white nationalist rally “paid to make chaos”? – False
- It’s now against the law in California to shower and do laundry on the same day. – Mostly False
- A “newly uncovered” photograph reveals Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was crying over an empty parking lot, not detained migrant children, at a protest in Texas. – False
- “The Ukrainian government just indicted the Burisma gas company & named Hunter Biden for accepting millions of dollars from a slush fund.” – False
- During the last hundred years the temperature increased about 0.1°C because of carbon dioxide. The human contribution was 0.01°C. – Incorrect
- New Study Confirms EVs Considerably Worse For Climate Than Diesel Cars – Inaccurate
- This coronavirus genome contained sequences of another virus […] the HIV virus (AIDS virus) – Inaccurate
- Coronavirus contains ‘HIV insertions’ – Inaccurate
- Fabricated genetic sequences used to support the hypothesis the virus arose naturally – False
- ”Pfizer launches final study for COVID drug that’s suspiciously similar to ‘horse paste’” ivermectin. – False
- A preprint of an ivermectin study in the Brazilian city of Itajaí found that prophylactic ivermectin reduced COVID-19 hospitalization and mortality by half. – Unsupported
Overall, we rate ZeroHedge an extreme right-biased conspiracy website based on the promotion of false/misleading/debunked information that routinely denigrates the left. (8/18/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 02/15/2022)
Last Updated on February 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am