These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate RealClearReligion Right-Center Biased based on story selection that moderately favors the Right. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to sometimes utilizing sources that have Mixed records with facts.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2000, and based in Chicago, Illinois, RealClearPolitics, LLC is a news aggregation political analysis and polling site. Operating under the RealClear brand, there are 14 RealClear websites that cover various platforms including RealClearPolitics, RealClearDefense, RealClearScience, RealClearPolicy , and more. The Founders of RealClearPolitics are John McIntyre, an options trader, and Tom Bevan, an advertising account executive.
In 2007, Forbes Media took a 51% equity stake in RealClear Holdings. In 2015, Crest Media, which owns the Middle East news outlet Al-Monitor, and the original owners bought out a large equity stake that had been possessed by Forbes Media. Crest Media was founded by the president and chairman of Houston-based Crest Investment Company Jamal Daniel. Daniel is also the founder of Al-Monitor.
According to their about page: “RealClearReligion (RCR) is a comprehensive resource for news, analysis, and commentary that explores the role of religion in public life. This includes the variety of religious traditions in the United States and the broad spectrum of ideologies that exist within each of those faiths.”
Read our profile on United States government and media.
Funded by / Ownership
RealClear Investors and Crest Media is the owner of RealClearReligion. John McIntyre is the Co-founder & CEO, Tom Bevan is the Co-founder & Publisher and Erin Waters is the President of the RealClear Media Group. RealClear is funded through paid subscriptions and an online advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the site features selected news stories about religion and op-eds from various news publications in addition to commentary from its own contributors. Though their own political views lean conservative, the site’s founders say their goal is to give readers “ideological diversity” in its commentary section. RealClearReligion frequently uses emotionally loaded headlines such as this: Cancel Culture Is the Wrong Response to Deep Disagreement.
Generally, story selection moderately favors the Right and RealClearReligion takes a conservative stance. They typically source their information to credible sources such as The Hill, Wall Street Journal, NBC News, and the Christian Post, however, they also source factually mixed sources such as Fox News.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate RealClearReligion Right-Center Biased based on story selection that moderately favors the Right. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to sometimes utilizing sources that have Mixed records with facts. (D. Van Zandt 5/12/2018) Updated (9/24/2020)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am