Republished with permission by Knowhere News
The American Bar Association urged the Senate Judiciary Committee to postpone its scheduled Friday vote on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh until an investigation of assault allegations leveled against him is undertaken.
“Each appointment to our nation’s Highest Court (as with all others) is simply too important to rush to a vote,” said the association’s president, Robert Carlson. “Deciding to proceed without conducting additional investigation would not only have a lasting impact on the Senate’s reputation, but it will also negatively affect the great trust necessary for the American people to have in the Supreme Court.”
Both Kavanaugh and Republican senators had noted the ABA’s endorsement of the judge’s character and legal abilities during a hearing on Thursday, which featured testimony from both Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, a woman who accused Kavanaugh of assaulting her at a house party in 1982. Kavanaugh has denied the charges.
The ABA called for a “thorough FBI investigation,” echoing all of the judiciary committee’s Democratic senators. Kavanaugh did not directly answer questions on Thursday about whether he would support an FBI investigation and deferred the question to the Republican-led committee, which has not called for an investigation.
“I welcome whatever the committee wants to do because I’m telling the truth,” Kavanaugh said.
A committee vote is expected to proceed on Friday and a full Senate vote on his nomination to the highest court could occur as early as the weekend.
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black America Webby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WFMZby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am