These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate WSBT 22 News Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1952, WSBT is a CBS-affiliated television station licensed to South Bend, Indiana, United States, serving Northern Indiana and the southern portion of Western Michigan. The associated website is wsbt.com which provides news, sports, weather, lifestyle, and crime reporting.
Funded by / Ownership
WSBT is owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group, a publicly traded American telecommunications company controlled by the family of company founder Julian Sinclair Smith. The company is the second-largest television station operator in the United States by the number of stations, and largest by total coverage; owning or operating a total of 193 stations across the country in over 100 markets (covering 40% of American households), many of which are located in the South and Midwest.
Sinclair has been scrutinized by multiple media outlets for consistently favoring conservative politics. They are considered a rival to the right biased Fox News for the conservative audience. The Seattle Times has written a piece documenting Sinclair’s right-wing bias. Further, according to the Center for Responsive Politics (Open Secrets), the Sinclair Broadcast Group has donated $1,143,508 or 80% to Republican candidates since 1994.
Finally, in March 2018, Sinclair ordered its stations to produce promos with an “anchor delivered journalistic responsibility message” dictated by the company. The wording of the mandated script was criticized by some station news staff and outside pundits for its discussion of “fake news,” with some critics arguing that the message used similar language and rhetoric to Donald Trump. Trump responded to the promos on April 2, 2018, defending the company as being “far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.”
Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, WSBT 22 News reports local news with minimal bias in wording such as this Multiple people injured in Fulton County crash involving church bus. Many news stories are accompanied by videos from the TV station. National and international news is provided through the Associated Press and others by Sinclair properties.
Editorially, WSBT 22 News does not publish op-eds; however, they tend to favor the right when reporting on politics slightly. Further, the website also features links to conservative TV host Sharyl Attkisson’s Full Measure TV program. In general, the news is reported factually and with a slight right-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate WSBT 22 News Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 07/06/2021)
Last Updated on February 9, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am