These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Dissent Magazine Left Biased based on holding Socialist editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1954, Dissent is a quarterly, left-leaning journal focusing on politics and culture edited by Michael Kazin and David Marcus. According to their about page “Dissent quickly established itself as one of America’s leading intellectual journals and a mainstay of the democratic left.”
Funded by / Ownership
Dissent is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is published by the University of Pennsylvania Press on behalf of the Foundation for the Study of Independent Social Ideas, Inc. Revenue is generated through subscription sales, donations, and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Dissent Magazine produces journalism and reports news from a Socialist perspective. Headlines and stories contain minimally to moderately loaded emotional language such as this: Can Democratic Socialism Rise in Rural America? This story is sourced to interviews and first-person accounts. Other stories reviewed provide hyperlinked sourcing to credible sources such as the New York Times.
Editorially, Dissent champions Democratic Socialism, Marxism, Climate Change, Labor, and Feminism. They frequently report negatively on President Donald Trump, Why Trump is Attacking “the Squad” and favorably on Progressive Democrats, Why the Left Needs Liberals. In general, Dissent Magazine reports factually through proper sourcing of information with a socialist left editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Dissent Magazine Left Biased based on holding Socialist editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/13/2016) Updated (11/18/2019)
Last Updated on September 29, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am