These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Washingtonian Left Biased based on story selection and liberal editorial positions that consistently favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1965, the Washingtonian is a monthly magazine distributed in the Washington, D.C. area. The magazine focuses on local feature journalism, guide book–style articles, real estate, and politics. The current editor is Michael Schaffer.
Funded by / Ownership
The Washingtonian is family-owned through Washington Magazine Inc. The former CEO was Philip Merrill (1934–2006), who was succeeded as chairman by his wife, Eleanor; their daughter Catherine Merrill Williams is the president and publisher. Revenue is generated through subscription fees, advertising, sponsored content and Amazon Affiliate links.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Washingtonian Magazine is published monthly, however, the website is updated daily. Journalists cover topics in the DC area that consists of entertainment, culture, general news, and politics. News reporting tends to favor the left through story selection and wording such as this: Far-Right Activists Brought Their Gripes About Social Media to a Park Near the White House This Weekend. This story is properly sourced to high factual left-leaning sources such as The Daily Beast and Vox. The Washingtonian also produces long-form journalism that is thoroughly researched such as this: A Murder on the Rappahannock River. The website also provides rankings that include top physicians, top places to dine, and top neighborhoods. Editorially, almost all opinions favor the left and denigrate the right such as this: We Should All Cringe With Embarrassment About Trump’s Banana-Republic July 4 Spectacle.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Washingtonian Left Biased based on story selection and liberal editorial positions that consistently favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/9/2019) Updated (11/18/2020)
Last Updated on November 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am