These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.
- Overall, we rate War on the Rocks Least Biased based on balanced story selection and editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2013, War on the Rocks is a website that reports on national security, defense, and military. According to their about page “War on the Rocks is a platform for analysis, commentary, debate and multimedia content on foreign policy and national security issues through a realist lens. It features articles and podcasts produced by an array of writers with deep experience in these matters: top-notch scholars who study war, those who have served or worked in war zones, and more than a few who have done it all.” The CEO is Ryan Evans and the Editor-at-Large is Usha Sahay.
According to Founder and CEO Ryan Evans “Current and former military makeup about 40 percent of War on the Rocks’ readership, he says; another bucket includes people in government as civilians, working on defense, diplomacy, and national security issues; there are also defense contractors, grad students, professional academics, and “people that are just very passionate about these topics,” including a number of journalists that cover them for the national media.”
On March 2, 2016 War on the Rocks published an open letter signed by more than 100 members of the Republican national security community who said they were “United in their opposition to Donald Trump for President.”
Funded by / Ownership
The website is owned by War on the Rocks Media LLC a privately held company. Revenue is derived through membership fees for exclusive content.
Analysis / Bias
In review, War on the Rocks only publishes original commentary on war, conflict, and international politics from a realist perspective, which means that it encompasses people of many opinions with a variety of party affiliations but all of whom believe in the centrality of fear, honor, and interest as drivers of inter-state affairs. Headlines sometimes use loaded emotional language, such as this CHANGE OR DIE. This is actually the title of a podcast that talks about how the military needs to adapt. Articles are properly sourced to credible outlets such as .govs, The New York Times, and Reuters.
Editorially, War on the Rocks does not report favorably on Donald Trump’s foreign policy such as this WHAT SHOULD COME AFTER TRUMP’S FAILED CHINA POLICY? However, they also criticized then-Vice President Biden such as this SPLITTING UP IRAQ: YES, BIDEN WAS WRONG. In general, story selection is balanced and on topic. Commentary is straightforward and presented by experts from different political perspectives. This is a factual source with low bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate War on the Rocks Least Biased based on balanced story selection and editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (11/28/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 11/11/2020)
Last Updated on November 11, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm