These leaders are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Volodymyr Zelensky is currently the President of Ukraine. He is the leader of the center-right Servant of the People Party. We assign Volodymyr Zelensky a Right-Center Bias and Mixed factual rating based on the promotion of propaganda and censorship of media.
About Volodymyr Zelensky
- Comedian, actor, and producer 2013-2019
- Creator of the television show “Servant of the People”
- President of Ukraine (2019 – present)
Volodymyr Zelensky, founder, and member of the Servant of the People party, gained popularity for anti-corruption and economic reform promises but faced criticism for his reliance on the support of oligarch Ihor Kolomoisky during his campaign, despite positioning himself as an outsider fighting against the country’s corrupt elite.
Zelensky won the presidency in 2019, with the party positioning itself as libertarian, but later adopted a centrist ideology, causing accusations of populism and confusion among Ukrainians about the party’s stance. The party clarified its “Ukrainian centrism” ideology in 2020, combining patriotism, humanism, libertarianism, statism, liberalism, and socialism to protect the state, human rights, economic freedom, and people with low incomes and pensioners.
Zelensky’s party has implemented some reforms; however, human rights issues remain a concern, as documented by a Human Rights Watch report, which calls for further action and accountability for violators. An Atlantic Council 2020 report highlights limited progress on LGBTQ+ rights and the closure of Ukraine’s Human Rights Directorate, raising questions about the government’s commitment to addressing these issues. Despite these challenges, Zelensky has made progress in implementing reforms; however, the ongoing war in Ukraine has hindered further progress and development, despite Zelensky’s efforts to implement reforms.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- While a third-party fact-checker has not directly fact-checked Volodymyr Zelensky, his administration has been accused of promoting propaganda and censorship of media.
(M. Huitsing 04/05/2023)
Last Updated on April 5, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.