- Hibatullah Akhundzada is currently the Supreme Leader of Afghanistan. He is the head of the Taliban which advocates for strict Islamic Law. Afghanistan is essentially one person controlled through authoritarian rule by Hibatullah Akhundzada. We assign Hibatullah Akhundzada a Far Right Bias and Mixed factual rating due to promoting propaganda and oppressive censorship to support his leadership.
About Hibatullah Akhundzada
Title: Supreme Leader (Since 5/25/2021)
Political Party: Taliban
Political Alignment: RIGHT (Strict interpretation of Islamic law)
Factual Rating: MIXED
- Senior judge during the Taliban’s previous rule in Afghanistan
- Appointed as the head of the Taliban’s religious court in 2015
- Became the Taliban’s supreme leader in 2016 after the death of his predecessor, Mullah Akhtar Mansour
- Supreme Leader of Afghanistan (2021 – Present)
Hibatullah Akhundzada, the current Supreme Leader of Afghanistan, is affiliated with the Taliban and adheres to their Islamist views. He supports strict adherence to Islamic law and opposes Western influence and values, advocating for establishing an Islamic state in Afghanistan. His beliefs include upholding traditional values and promoting social conservatism.
Akhundzada has faced criticism for his alleged involvement in overseeing human rights violations during the Taliban’s previous rule in Afghanistan. Many countries have refused to recognize the Taliban government led by Akhundzada, citing concerns over their human rights record and political affiliations.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- Hibatullah Akhundzada has not been directly fact-checked; however, he consistently promotes propaganda supporting his political ideology and personal positions.
(M. Huitsing 03/16/2023)
Last Updated on March 16, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.