These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Texan Right Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency disclosing ownership.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2019 by former Republican Texas State Senator Konni Burton, The Texan is a conservative news website focused on Texan and national politics. The website frequently covers immigration news. According to their about page, “The Texan, a statewide political news organization that is dedicated to providing readers with fact-based news regarding issues, policies, elected officials, and campaigns, The Texan is the alternative to the narratives and spin that is so pervasive in news media today.” McKenzie Taylor serves as senior editor.
Funded by / Ownership
The Texan does not clearly disclose ownership. It requires an external search to find out iTexasPolitics LLC owns them. The Texan generates revenue through subscriptions and a shop that sells merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
The Texan provides original reporting on Texas and national politics with a primary focus on immigration. In fact, they have a section dedicated to immigration under the section “Border Crisis.” This name in itself is biased as it conveys negative language towards immigration. In this section, almost all stories are negative toward immigration, focusing on crimes and dangers such as this Illegal Alien Apprehensions Will Break 20 Year Record, Republicans Call On Texas Attorney General To Sue Biden. Although clearly right-leaning in bias, they properly source information from credible sources such as DHS, local papers, and the Associated Press.
The Texan does not produce op-eds; however, story selection and wording of stories favor conservatives. For example, they report favorably on Republican politicians Cruz, Cornyn, 17 Other U.S. Senators Tour Rio Grande River in ‘Heartbreaking’ Border Visit, while reporting negatively on Democrats Gas Prices Rise With Vaccine Distribution, Biden Administration’s Environmental Policies. In general, the news is factual and holds a right editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Texan Right Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency disclosing ownership. (D. Van Zandt 4/7/2021) Updated (02/16/2022)
Last Updated on February 16, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am