These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Tennessee Star Right biased based on story selection and editorial content that favors the Right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on deceptive publishing of political information without disclosure of ownership and funding.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2017, The Tennessee Star is a news and opinion website with a right-leaning bias in reporting. According to their about page, “We feature articles reporting news, politics, and policy at the state level, primarily from Minnesota. We round out our daily coverage with national stories and thoughtful commentary of interest to our readers.” According to an investigation by Snopes, The Tennessee Star is not a local newspaper but rather a front for “Tea Party-connected conservative activists: Michael Patrick Leahy and Christina Botteri.” Snopes details connections to conservative donors and PACS as well.
Funded by / Ownership
The Tennessee Star is a “Delaware-registered company, Star News Digital Media, Inc., whose explicit strategy is to target battleground states with conservative news.” Under this company are the Ohio Star, Michigan Star, Battlegroundstatenews.com, and Minnesota Sun, essentially duplicating the Tennessee Star. Advertising generates revenue; however, Snopes goes in-depth in how they are funded.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Tennessee Star presents news with a conservative bias through story selection that usually favors the right. All articles are properly sourced and generally use credible mainstream sources. There is some use of loaded words within news stories, but not excessive. The Tennessee Star has a far-right bias with frequent use of strong emotional loaded words that favor the right and denigrate the left.
Although The Tennessee Star is right biased and generally factual, we cannot rate them High for factual reporting due to the source being exposed as a political activism website that is attempting to look like a local paper. For this reason, we rate them factually Mixed.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Tennessee Star Right biased based on story selection and editorial content that favors the Right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on deceptive publishing tactics. (D. Van Zandt 10/26/2017) Updated (8/09/2021)
Last Updated on August 9, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 23, 2022 at 10:30 am