These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Minnesota Sun Right biased based on story selection and editorial content that favors the Right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on deceptive publishing tactics.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2018, The Minnesota Sun is a news and opinion website with a right-leaning bias in reporting. According to their about page, “We feature articles reporting news, politics, and policy at the state level, primarily from Minnesota. We round out our daily coverage with national stories and thoughtful commentary of interest to our readers.” According to an investigation by Snopes, The Minnesota Sun is not a local newspaper but rather a front for “Tea Party-connected conservative activists: Michael Patrick Leahy and Christina Botteri.” Snopes details connections to conservative donors and PACS as well.
Funded by / Ownership
The Minnesota Sun is a “Delaware-registered company, Star News Digital Media, Inc., whose explicit strategy is to target battleground states with conservative news.” Under this company are the Ohio Star, Michigan Star, Battlegroundstatenews.com, and Tennessee Star, which are essentially duplicates of the Minnesota Sun with local news. Revenue appears to be generated from advertising; however, Snopes goes in-depth in how they are funded.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Minnesota Sun presents news with a conservative bias through story selection that usually favors the right. All articles are properly sourced and generally use credible mainstream sources. There is some use of loaded words within news stories, but not excessive. Editorially, the Minnesota Sun has a strong right-leaning bias with frequent use of strong emotional loaded words that favor the right and denigrate the left, such as this Biden Flip-Flops on Proposed National Mask Mandate, Says It Would Be Unconstitutional.
Although the Minnesota Sun is right biased and generally factual, we cannot rate them High for factual reporting due to the source being exposed as a political activism website attempting to look like a local paper. For this reason, we rate them factually Mixed.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Minnesota Sun Right biased based on story selection and editorial content that favors the Right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on deceptive publishing tactics. (D. Van Zandt 10/26/2017) Updated (03/11/2022)
Last Updated on March 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am