These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate American Purpose Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact checks record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2020 by Dr. Francis Fukuyama, American Purpose is an online magazine covering news, politics, and culture. Dr. Fukuyama is a political theorist and author of The End of History and the Last Man. He is also one of the 25 figures on the Information and Democracy Commission launched by Reporters Without Borders. According to their about page, “First, we aim to defend and promote liberal democracy in the United States. Second, we seek to better understand and address the challenges to liberal democracy abroad. Finally, we intend to offer criticism and commentary on history and biography, high art and pop culture, science, and technology.”
Jeffrey Gedmin serves as CEO and editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
American Purpose is a nonprofit that is funded through donations. They list their largest financial supporters as The Achelis & Bodman Foundation, Carnegie Corporation of New York, Sagamore Institute, and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation.
Analysis / Bias
American Purpose publishes news and commentary covering liberal democracy and culture. The website site also lists their events and podcasts on a wide range of topics. Finally, they offer an opinion column by Dr. Fukuyama. News posts cover political philosophy, and frequently a concern for expanding authoritarianism such as this Democracy Dies in Disinformation. This article, like most, is long-form journalism and very well sourced from credible media and information outlets.
Politically, American Purpose strongly rejects former President Trump Can American Democracy Recover after Trump? A quote from the article reads, “Yet Trump seems determined to end his presidency as he waged it: a bitter, vengeful, polarizing demagogue, whose first and last calculations are about himself.” While they are critical of President Biden, they report more favorably, such as this Sometimes You Get Another Chance. In the article, they state, “Biden’s election provides new hope. Because of Trump’s disdain for supporting democracy abroad, the rise of autocratic China and Russia, and a 14-year global democratic recession, conditions are ripe for a bold American initiative to support democratic ideals around the world.”
Finally, the blog by Dr. Fukuyama also focuses on anti-authoritarianism. It is critical of the current Republican party where he states, “Over the previous decade, the party had been moving steadily from Reagan-era concerns with taxes and regulation to one based on identity. To be a Trump Republican meant thinking of oneself as non-elite despised by liberals, someone defined by race, by conservative values, or by place of residence.” In general, American Purpose provides well-written long-form journalism that is factual and moderately aligns with the left.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate American Purpose Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact checks record. (D. Van Zandt 5/24/2021)
Last Updated on February 16, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am