These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Japan News Right-Center biased based on story selection that slightly favors the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Japan 66/180
Launched in 1955, The Japan News formerly known as The Daily Yomiuri is an English language Japanese newspaper published in Tokyo by The Yomiuri Shimbun. It is the English edition of The Yomiuri Shimbun. After WW2 The Japan News was originally established as the English language daily BCON (newspaper for the British Commonwealth Occupation Forces in Japan 1946.) Later The Yomiuri Shimbun acquired Japan News and launched it as an English-language tabloid. For more on history please see their about page. The Japan News covers a wide variety of topics such as “politics, society, business, world news, culture & lifestyle, pop&cool” and many more. Fumihiro Kitayama is the Managing Editor of The Japan News.
Funded by / Ownership
The Japan News is owned by The Yomiuri Shimbun under the umbrella of The Yomiuri Shimbun Holdings. Toshikazu Yamaguchi is the President. The Yomiuri Shimbun Group was owned by the Shoriki Family, however, there is no information on whether the family still has shares in the group. Here is the list of executives of Yomiuri Shimbun Group. Revenue is based on advertisements and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
The Japan News publishes articles with minimal emotionally loaded language such as “Tokyo chief public prosecutor hands in resignation over gambling scandal”. However, in this article they omit details such as the Prosecutors’ ties to the Abe government. The same news was reported by Reuters with the headline “Japan PM Abe’s support slides as top prosecutor’s resignation bites” The Japan News typically reports with balance, representing all sides. Here is an example regarding the funding of the social security system that presents both Prime Minister Abe’s and the opposition’s views on the matter “Ruling, opposition party candidates divided on how to fund social security system”. When it comes to sourcing, The Japan News often sources through quotes and also utilizes credible news sources such as AFP and the Jiji news agency (Jiji Press Ltd. is a Japanese news agency). The Japan Times also has a partnership with two USA papers: The Washington Post and Los Angeles Times as well as a partnership with UK newspaper The Times. When covering world news they republish stories from the Associated Press and Reuters.
Editorially, The Japan News generally provides balance, however, our review concludes that more favor the right-leaning Abe government through mild criticism of the opposition: Opposition must avoid repeating DPJ’s errors, look for better policies.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Japan News Right-Center biased based on story selection that slightly favors the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. ( 7/29/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 5/24/2020)
Last Updated on May 25, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am