These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate NHK World-Japan Left-Center biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Japan 66/180
NHK WORLD-JAPAN is “the international service of Japan’s public media organization NHK.” NHK World-Japan is operated by Nippon Hoso Kyokai (NHK). The goal of NHK World-Japan is stated as “to promote a deeper international understanding of Japan, introducing the latest events in Japan through news and other programs.”
NHK World-Japan delivers news and analysis, breaking news, information on Japan and Asia, through TV, radio broadcasting, and online in English, Japanese, and other languages. Currently, MAEDA Terunobu is the President of the executive board of Nippon Hoso Kyokai (NHK).
Funded by / Ownership
NHK World-Japan is a published by Nippon Hoso Kyokai (NHK), a public corporation and is primarily funded by TV receiving fees (monthly licensing fees) which is the main source of income for NHK. However, NHK overseas is funded by the government. NHK’s Management consists of 12 governors (highest decision-making organ). The governors are approved by both houses of the Diet and are appointed by the Prime Minister. The board of governors approves or dismisses the president, CEO, and the auditors. Further, the NHK board of governors is appointed by the Prime Minister and its budget approved by the Diet (the national legislature of Japan). NHK WORLD PREMIUM is offered by subscription.
Analysis / Bias
In review, NHK World publishes stories with emotionally loaded language and appears to be critical of the Abe Government such as this “Japanese government forced to walk back on attempt to pass prosecutor retirement law” and “Did the state of emergency declaration come too late?”. When it comes to sourcing, NHK World typically uses quotes and rarely hyperlinks.
Editorially, NHK World does not publish opinion pieces, however, when covering USA politics they have an unfavorable opinion of President Trump: Survey suggests growing concern among Japanese at prospect of Trump re-election. They also take left-leaning positions such as concern for climate change and support for LGBTQ rights. In general, the news is reported factually with a left-leaning bias in story selection.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years.
Overall, we rate NHK World-Japan Left-Center biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (5/24/2017) Updated (M. Huitsing 5/27/2020)
Last Updated on October 11, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am