These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate the Japan Times Least Biased based on neutral/balanced reporting and High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Japan 72/180
The Japan Times is an online English Language newspaper based in Tokyo, Japan. It is published by The Japan Times, Ltd. and founded by Motosada Zumoto on March 22, 1897. At present Takeharu Tsutsumi is the president of JP.
The Japan Times covers current events in Japan and the world as well as opinion articles, entertainment, and sports. The Japan Times is subscription-based allowing the reader 5 stories before you need to subscribe for more.
Read our profiles on Japan’s media and government
Funded by / Ownership
It is published by The Japan Times, Ltd., and revenue is generated through advertising and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, according to Reporters Without Borders, media freedom in Japan has been declining ever since Shinzo Abe became Prime Minister again in 2012. Japan ranks 72nd on the 2018 list of World Press Freedom Index.
When reporting Japanese national news they are balanced in covering both sides of issues. When reporting international news The Japan Times reports with minimal bias using credible sources such as Reuters and the Associated Press.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate the Japan Times Least Biased based on neutral/balanced reporting and High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 9/3/2017) Updated (4/12/2019)
Last Updated on May 24, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds