Reasoning: Propaganda, Lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
The Free Telegraph is an online publication with a privacy disclaimer at the bottom of the page that states, “Paid for by Republican Governors Association, 1747 Penn. Ave. NW Suite 250, Washington DC. Not made with cooperation, consent, or consultation, or at request or suggestion of a candidate or her agent.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Republican Governors Association supports the Free Telegraph.
Analysis / Bias
According to the Chicago Tribune, The Free Telegraph was launched by The Republican Governors Association to promote the virtues of GOP governors while framing Democrats negatively. The Free Telegraph also did not disclose its connection to the Republican Governors Association until The Associated Press inquired about it and claimed that critics had called it a propaganda site. In addition, according to the AP, a former Ted Cruz campaign spokesman told the AP that “It’s propaganda for sure, even if they have objective standards and all the reporting is 100 percent accurate.”
In review, both headlines and articles contain loaded words such as: “Michael Moore Makes A Fool of Himself (Again).” All stories favor the right, in particular the work of Republican Governors. Although The Free Telegraph uses proper sources, information is spun in such a way as to promote propaganda for the Republican Governors and against Democrats. The Free Telegraph has also been flagged by the Web of Trust as being suspicious.
Failed Fact Checks
- A third party has not fact-checked them.
Overall, we rate this publication as Right biased through story selection, wording, and the fact that it is funded by the Republicans Governors Association. However, due to the initial secrecy of funding and promotion of propaganda, we rate this source Questionable at this time. (M. Huitsing 9/22/2017) Updated (9/24/2021)
Last Updated on September 24, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am