These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Florida Standard Right Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources, lack of transparency, and failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2022, The Florida Standard is a conservative news and opinion website focused on Florida and national news. According to their about page, “The Florida Standard will right-size the Florida media environment. We are a content and reporting machine rooted in truth, deep policy fluency, and a commitment to an informed public.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Florida Standard lacks transparency as they do not clearly state who owns them. Will Witt is listed as the Editor-in-Chief and is the presumed owner. Mr. Witt claims to be a “national bestselling author and international speaker.” He also is the host of PragerU’s Man on the Street Podcast. The website does not appear monetized now, and funding is not straightforward.
Analysis / Bias
The Florida Standard features writers who report on news stories from other sources. Articles and headlines often contain loaded emotional wording that favors the right such as this Air DeSantis: Florida Jets Illegal Immigrants to Idyllic Martha’s Vineyard. In another article, Martha’s Vineyard Kicks Out Illegal Immigrants After Less Than 48 Hours; they rely on NBC Boston and the Florida Voice. Regarding sourcing, we have found that they usually utilize credible sources in Florida, such as the Orlando Sentinel and St. Augustine Record.
Editorially, The Florida Standard appropriately labels opinion content that always favors the right such as this Deceptive Democrats and the Bidenflation Scam Act. We also found that they have promoted Covid-19 misinformation in the article Massacre: Nearly Half of Pregnant Women in Pfizer Trial Miscarried. This story relies on sources that frequently advance Covid-19 conspiracy theories, such as Naomi Wolfe, American Greatness, and Steve Kirsch. According to IFCN fact checker Lead Stories, “Naomi Wolf incorrectly analyzed public information when claiming that “out of 50 pregnant women, 22 of them lost their babies.” Wolf and two publishers have all retracted the claim.” However, The Florida Standard did not retract or correct the article.
Further, they also published another misleading story regarding Covid-19 vaccines titled Vaccine Narrative Collapses as Harvard Study Shows Jab More Dangerous than COVID. Lead Stories also refuted this story. This story relies on the questionable Epoch Times and Gateway Pundit for analysis.
Rather than correcting the misinformation, The Florida Standard doubled down and attacked the fact-checker Florida Standard Story on Vaccine Study Censored by Gates and Soros-Linked “Fact Checkers.” In general, most news is reported factually; however, there is evidence that they rely on poor sources and promote Covid-19 conspiracy theories.
Failed Fact Checks
- 44% of pregnant women in Pfizer Covid 19 vaccine trial had a miscarriage – No Evidence
- (Indirect via Epoch Times) Vaccine Narrative Collapses as Harvard Study Shows Jab More Dangerous than COVID – No Evidence
- “Covid-19 Vaccines 98 Times Worse Than the Virus” – Inaccurate
Overall, we rate The Florida Standard Right Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources, lack of transparency, and failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 09/17/2022) Updated (09/23/2022)
Last Updated on September 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am