These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the American Prospect Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1990, The American Prospect is a quarterly American political magazine and website dedicated to American liberalism. Based in Washington, D.C., The American Prospect says it aims “to advance liberal and progressive goals through reporting, analysis, and debate about today’s realities and tomorrow’s possibilities.” The magazine was founded by Robert Kuttner, Robert Reich, and Paul Starr, with Kuttner and Starr currently serving as editors.
Funded by / Ownership
The Nonprofit American Prospect, Inc owns the American Prospect. Donations, advertising, and subscription fees generate revenue. The website does not disclose donors.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The American Prospect reports original political news from a liberal perspective. Stories are well written, and headlines contain moderately loaded language that favors the left, such as this: The Republican War on the Capital Gains Tax. This story is very well sourced to the New York Times, Washington Post, Bloomberg, and Whitehouse.gov. Economically, the American Prospect aligns with the progressive left with articles such as this: The 5 Biggest Corporate Lies About Unions. When it comes to science, they support the consensus on climate change, vaccines, and GMOs.
Editorially, the American Prospect favors liberal positions; however, they present factual and evidence-based information.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the American Prospect Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/15/2016) Updated (5/31/2021)
Last Updated on May 31, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am