Last updated on March 14th, 2021 at 10:48 am
- Overall, we rate Students for Trump Right Biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, lack of transparency, and the promotion of misinformation and false claims.
Questionable Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2015 by Ryan Fournier and John Lambert, Students for Trump is an activist group who supports the re-election of Donald Trump. In July 2019, Charlie Kirk, CEO of Turning Point USA, became chairman of Students for Trump. According to their about page “Students for Trump will be the official chapter-based, pro-Trump student group on hundreds of college and high school campuses across America beginning this fall.”
Funded by / Ownership
Students for Trump is published by Turning Point Action, which is a 501(c)(4) organization whose core mission is identifying, educating, and organizing on principles of limited government, free markets and fiscal responsibility. Revenue is derived through donations. There is a lack of transparency as they do not indicate large donors.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Students for Trump is a conservative advocacy organization that endorses candidates. They indicate that they have partnerships with the following PACS/organizations Freedom Works, America First Policies, Heritage Action for America, and Young Americans for Liberty. The website does not publish news, but they do have a petition against Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer due to her handling of Covid-19 restrictions. Although they do not publish news on this website. The organization does promote false and misleading information via its social media accounts as evidenced below.
Failed Fact Checks
- “Joe Biden is handing our power grid to the Chinese Communist Party.” – False
- Says North Carolina’s “Democratic Secretary of State” controls the state’s elections. – False
- “All money donated to Black Lives Matter goes directly to Act Blue, a Democrat Super PAC that then feeds the money to Democrat candidates.” – False
- “The Biden administration lost 20 million COVID vaccines.” – False
- President Joe Biden is handing the U.S. power grid to the Chinese Communist Party. – False
Overall, we rate Students for Trump Right Biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, lack of transparency, and the promotion of misinformation and false claims. (D. Van Zandt 2/27/2021)