These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate FreedomWorks Right Biased based on the promotion of conservative/libertarian policy. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading reporting on climate change that does not align with the consensus of science and a failed fact check.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2004, FreedomWorks is a conservative and libertarian advocacy group based in Washington D.C., United States. FreedomWorks trains volunteers to assist in campaigns and encourages them to mobilize, interacting with fellow citizens and their political representatives. FreedomWorks originated from a conservative political group founded by David H. Koch and Charles Koch and called Citizens for a Sound Economy (CSE). The current President is Adam Brandon.
Funded by / Ownership
FreedomWorks is funded through donations. They lack transparency as they do not disclose funding on the website. FreedomWorks has been funded by the oil industry and Philip Morris and foundations controlled by the Scaife family, according to tax filings and other records. According to OpenSecrets, they exclusively support Republican candidates.
Analysis / Bias
In review, FreedomWorks primarily serves as a lobbying activist group for conservative/libertarian causes. FreedomWorks has the following mottos: GOVERNMENT FAILS. FREEDOM WORKS and “Lower Taxes. Less Government. More Freedom.” The website has categories that describe the issues they support, such as Term Limits, Budget & Spending, and Healthcare Reform. The website also features a blog that consistently favors the right with stories like Beware Coronavirus Cronyism and this, Aren’t Democrats Supposed to Hate Monopolies? When it comes to politics, FW does not always agree with former President Trump; however, their disdain for Socialism often creates a situation where they praise Trump, even though he is not a true advocate of the Free Market: FreedomWorks Statement in Response to President Trump’s Third State of the Union Address. Scientifically, FW does not align with the consensus of science regarding climate change, where they frequently call scientists alarmists. In general, FreedomWorks reports news Mixed factually with a strong right-wing bias in story selection and wording.
Failed Fact Checks
- Says “Dan McCready wants to repeal tax cuts that saves (sic) you $1,300” per year. – Mostly False
- “The Democrats want you American taxpayers to shell out $3 billion for ‘non-racist’ trees.” – Mostly False
Overall, we rate FreedomWorks Right Biased based on the promotion of conservative/libertarian policy. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading reporting on climate change that does not align with the consensus of science and a failed fact check. (D. Van Zandt 6/19/2016) Updated (9/30/2021)
Last Updated on September 30, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am