Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
StopFake is a fact-checking organization founded in March 2014 by Ukrainian professors and students to refute Russian propaganda and combat fake news. The website also hosts StopFake News, a weekly television show only about fake news, and holds the standard that “if fact-checkers cannot prove that a story published or broadcast by another news media outlet is false, it will not be featured in the weekly airing.” Stopfake is a signatory of the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN).
Funded by / Ownership
The site is financed by crowdfunding, readers’ contributions, the Renaissance Foundation, the Foreign Ministry of the Czech Republic, the Foreign Ministry of the United Kingdom, and the Sigrid Rausing Trust.
Analysis / Bias
StopFake is a credible news source, but you will find a very pro-Ukraine standpoint to combat the state-controlled and often very pro-Russian news most people in that area get. From speaking with sources from Ukraine and people familiar with the conflicts, the news in Ukraine and around Crimea is riddled with false and misleading information, often from Russian sources. There’s little to be trusted. As far as the site goes: Titles like Six Outrageous Lies Russian Disinformation Peddled about Europe in 2016 Uses a very modern clickbait method to gain attention. However, inside, it shows the various .ru (Russian) news reports that show disinformation spread throughout Europe about various events. Some to focus on are the rise of immigrants into Europe and overstating the crimes and destruction they pose. Russian media claims that Poland is building a wall to keep the Ukrainian people out. But references an interview where that is never mentioned.
This piece about Reddit shows how much research they will put into debunking the false information spread far and wide they feel is from Russian sources. It has links to Reddit, Buzzfeed, Twitter, CNN, .RU sites.
If you are interested in following what is happening in Crimea and, subsequently, what is happening between Ukraine and Russia, you should view this site. There is a lot of news not covered in Western countries, and many people are in the dark about what is happening over there. This article goes over the Russian propaganda machine in full effect. It cites the Russian Media sites that perpetuate lies and then backtrack them after the fact. Russia accuses Ukraine and rebels over the fighting when it’s the opposite.
Failed Fact Checks
- None. They are an IFCN fact-checker.
Overall, we rate StopFake Left-Center biased based on political positions that moderately align with the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to being a signatory of the IFCN and holding a clean fact check record. (M. Allen 2/16/2017) Updated (05/11/2022)
Last Updated on May 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am