These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1978, The Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) is a hybrid-funded Australian public broadcasting radio, online, and television network. The stated purpose of SBS is “to provide multilingual and multicultural radio and television services that inform, educate and entertain all Australians and, in doing so, reflect Australia’s multicultural society.”
Funded by / Ownership
SBS is a public broadcaster that is funded through the government and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, SBS News reports Australian and world news. Articles and headlines use moderately loaded emotional language such as this Victoria announces the State of Disaster as Melbourne enters drastic Stage 4 coronavirus lockdown. This story is appropriately sourced to the Victoria State Government. World news is generally sourced through news wires such as AFP, Reuters, and the Associated Press.
Editorially, SBS does not directly publish op-eds; however, they report on politics from a liberal perspective. For example, they frequently report negatively on conservative Prime Minister Scott Morrison, such as Scott Morrison’s high-flying $3.1 million travel and accommodation costs revealed. SBS also advocates for legal gay marriage and expresses concern for climate change. Further, a Reuters institute survey found that 70% of respondents trust their news coverage and 12% do not, ranking them #2 in trust of the major Australian news providers. The news is generally reported factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 4/15/2017) Updated (03/23/2022)
Last Updated on March 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm